BIS Full Form | BIS certification | BIS registration | BIS login | AGMARK full form | Agmarknet | agmark login | agmark headquarter | agmark upsc | Indian Standards
Table of Contents
BIS and AGMARK
These are a few other closely related food laws that have been made mandatory even after a license or registration under Food Safety and Standards Act, of 2006. These laws exist via Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on Sales) Regulation 2011 for some products.
BIS Full form
BIS stands for the Bureau of Indian Standards. It is the national standards body of India, established under the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986. BIS operates under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution. Its primary objective is to formulate and promote the adoption of national standards in various sectors to ensure the quality, safety, and reliability of goods, services, and systems. BIS is responsible for the development of standards, certification, conformity assessment, and accreditation activities in India. It plays a crucial role in supporting industrial growth, consumer protection, and promoting trade through the implementation of recognized standards and conformity assessment procedures.
|⟫ All Government Exams|
|⟫ All Govt Exams Notes|
|⟫ All Govt Exams Syllabus|
|⟫ All Exams Calendar|
|⟫ All Exams Calendar|
BIS i.e., Bureau of Indian Standards is the National Standard Body of India established under the BIS Act 1986 for the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking, and quality certification of goods and matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
The Bureau of Indian Standards works under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Government of India.
BIS has published two Indian Standards for packaged Drinking water namely IS-13428 for packaged Natural Mineral Water and IS-14543 for Packaged Drinking Water (Other than packaged Natural Mineral Water). Both products are under mandatory certification.
It is mandatory for the Food Business Operators to print the BIS logo along with the license number on the primary packaging material along with the FSSAI logo and FSSAI license/registration number.
BIS Certification refers to the process of obtaining certification from the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) in India. BIS Certification is a mandatory requirement for certain products to be sold in the Indian market. It ensures that the products meet the specified standards for quality, safety, and reliability as per the Indian Standards (IS) codes set by BIS.
The BIS Certification process involves the evaluation of product samples, testing in BIS-approved laboratories, and assessment of the manufacturer’s quality management systems. If the product meets the required standards, the manufacturer is granted a BIS Certification mark, commonly known as the ISI mark. This mark indicates compliance with the relevant Indian standards and assures consumers of the product’s quality and safety.
BIS Certification covers various product categories, including electrical appliances, automotive components, food products, building materials, chemicals, textiles, and more. It is essential for manufacturers and importers to obtain BIS Certification for their products to ensure compliance with Indian regulations and gain consumer trust in the Indian market.
BIS Registration process
The BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) Registration process involves several steps. Here is a general outline of the process:
- Determine Applicability: First, you need to determine whether your product falls under the mandatory BIS Certification requirement. Refer to the BIS website or relevant regulations to check if your product category is covered.
- Product Testing: Once you have confirmed the applicability, you need to get your product samples tested in a BIS-approved laboratory. The testing should be done as per the relevant Indian Standard (IS) codes specified by BIS.
- Application Submission: Prepare the required documents for BIS Registration, which typically include the completed application form, test reports, technical documents, and other supporting materials. Submit the application along with the prescribed fees to the BIS office or online portal.
- Factory Inspection: BIS may conduct a factory inspection to assess your manufacturing facility’s compliance with quality management systems and production processes. The inspection helps ensure that the product consistently meets the specified standards.
- Evaluation and Review: BIS will evaluate the application, test reports, and other submitted documents. They will assess whether your product complies with the relevant Indian Standards. The evaluation process may take some time, and you may be requested to provide additional information if necessary.
- BIS Certification Grant: If your product meets the required standards and passes the evaluation, BIS will grant you the BIS Certification mark, commonly known as the ISI mark. This mark signifies compliance with the applicable Indian Standards and quality requirements.
- Surveillance and Renewal: After obtaining BIS Certification, you need to comply with ongoing surveillance activities, including periodic factory inspections and product testing, to maintain the certification’s validity. BIS Certification is typically valid for one to two years, and you need to renew it before expiration.
It is important to note that the specific requirements and procedures for BIS Registration may vary depending on the product category and the latest guidelines issued by BIS. It is advisable to consult the official BIS website or contact the BIS office directly for precise information and detailed instructions pertaining to your specific product.
ISI stands for Indian Standards Institute. It is a former name for the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the national standards body of India. The ISI mark, also known as the Standard Mark of BIS, is a certification mark that signifies conformity to the relevant Indian Standards (IS codes) set by BIS. The ISI mark ensures that the products bearing it meet the specified quality, safety, and reliability standards established by BIS. The mark provides assurance to consumers that the product has undergone testing and evaluation to meet the prescribed standards, enhancing consumer confidence in the quality and safety of the product.
AGMARK is a Quality Certification Mark as a third-party guarantee to certified quality, which assures that the products conform to the standards laid down by the government of India is called Agmark certification. It is basically a voluntary certification for various agricultural food products but for some products, it has been made compulsory vide Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on Sales) Regulation 2011.
AGMARK full form
AGMARK stands for “Agmark Certification.” It is a quality certification mark issued by the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) in India. AGMARK is an assurance of quality, purity, and adherence to specified standards for agricultural and processed food products. The mark is granted to products that meet the criteria laid down in the relevant quality standards and undergo inspection and testing by authorized agencies. AGMARK certification helps protect consumer interests by ensuring the quality and authenticity of agricultural products, such as grains, pulses, spices, honey, and more. It also promotes fair trade practices and facilitates the export of Indian agricultural products by establishing their credibility in domestic and international markets.
AGMARK certification assures that the product containing the Agmark is good in terms of quality and produced in hygienic condition thereby fit for human consumption. It is useful both for consumers and producers, marketers and traders. Food products where AGMARK has been made mandatory, along with a license or registration under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The products are enlisted below:
|1||Blended Edible Vegetable Oils|
It is mandatory for the Food Business Operators to print the AGMARK logo along with the certification number on the primary packaging material along with the FSSAI logo and FSSAI license/registration number on food items where AGMARK certification is mandatory.
Agmark certification process
The Agmark certification process involves several steps to ensure the quality and conformity of agricultural and processed food products. Here is a general outline of the Agmark certification process:
- Application: The first step is to submit an application for Agmark certification to the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) or the concerned state agency responsible for Agmark certification.
- Product Testing: After the application is accepted, samples of the product are collected for testing. The samples are analyzed in accredited laboratories to determine if they meet the specified quality standards set by Agmark.
- Inspection: Once the test results are satisfactory, an inspection of the production facility is conducted. Trained inspectors visit the manufacturing or processing unit to assess compliance with quality and hygiene standards.
- Documentation: Detailed documentation, including the test reports, production process details, and relevant records, must be submitted to support the application for Agmark certification.
- Grant of Certification: If the product and the production facility meet the required standards and comply with all the necessary criteria, Agmark certification is granted. The certification allows the product to display the Agmark logo or mark.
- Surveillance and Renewal: Agmark-certified products are subject to periodic surveillance by authorized agencies to ensure ongoing compliance with quality standards. The certification needs to be renewed periodically, usually annually, by providing the required documentation and undergoing the necessary inspections and testing.
It’s important to note that the specific requirements and procedures for Agmark certification may vary depending on the type of product and the state in which the certification is sought. The relevant state agency or APEDA can provide detailed guidelines and assistance regarding the Agmark certification process for specific products and regions.
FSSAI Role Function and Initiatives Premium Course
FREE Notes are always awesome. Good Notes really help students to boost their preparation. Though Premium Courses are more relevant, time saver, and designed in such a way that you can crack your exam with ease and confidence.
- Chapter-Wise Video Classes, Practice Tests and PDF-Notes
- Previous year questions
- Doubt Batch
- 100% Exam-Oriented
- Price –
- Get this Course in only ₹380 – use COUPON CODE: FSSAI2021
Agmarknet is an online platform developed by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection (DMI), under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare in India. It aims to provide transparent and reliable information on agricultural commodities, market prices, arrivals, and related data. Agmarknet acts as a national agricultural marketing information system, helping farmers, traders, policymakers, and other stakeholders make informed decisions regarding agricultural produce.
The platform collects and disseminates real-time data from various agricultural markets across the country. It provides information on commodity prices, market arrivals, market trends, quality certification, and other relevant data. Users can access the information through the Agmarknet website, mobile apps, or by calling the toll-free helpline number.
Agmarknet contributes to fair trade practices by ensuring transparency in agricultural markets and facilitating informed decision-making. It helps farmers get a fair idea of market prices, reduces information asymmetry, and assists in minimizing market risks. Additionally, Agmarknet aids policymakers in formulating effective agricultural marketing policies and interventions based on accurate and timely market data.
FAQs – BIS and Agmark
What is BIS?
BIS stands for the Bureau of Indian Standards. It is the national standards body in India responsible for formulating and promoting the adoption of national standards across various sectors.
What is the purpose of BIS certification?
BIS certification ensures that products comply with the specified Indian Standards (IS) codes for quality, safety, and reliability. It assures consumers that the products they purchase meet the necessary standards.
Which products require BIS certification?
BIS certification is mandatory for several products, including electrical appliances, automotive components, food products, building materials, chemicals, textiles, and more. The specific product categories requiring BIS certification are defined by BIS and relevant regulations.
What is Agmark?
Agmark refers to the certification mark issued by the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) in India. It assures consumers of the quality, authenticity, and conformity of agricultural and processed food products.
What products are covered under Agmark certification?
Agmark certification covers various agricultural and processed food products, including grains, pulses, spices, honey, edible oils, fruits, vegetables, and more. The specific product categories eligible for Agmark certification are determined by APEDA.
What is the purpose of Agmark certification?
Agmark certification ensures that agricultural and processed food products meet the specified quality standards. It helps protect consumer interests, promotes fair trade practices, and facilitates the export of Indian agricultural products.