FSSAI Role Function and Initiative – is the most important topic as per FSSAI Exam 2021 syllabus. in this post, I am providing “A General Understanding of FSSAI Role, Functions and Initiatives” detailed Notes and this is the Next chapter –Food Standards.
Food Standards are some criteria set up by experts or authorities for measuring the quantity, weight, extent, value, and quality of a substance.
Reason Behind Setting of Food Standards
- Emergence of new additives
- Changes in processing technology
- Identification of new risk associated with a food or an additive because of metallic contaminants.
- Food consumption
- Nutritional aspect
- Advancement in analytical methods
Responsible authorities of Food Standards
To set up food standards, FSSAI has constituted a scientific committee and 17 (at present 19 are in total) scientific panels under the provision of the food safety and standards act.
Process of Formulation of Standards
8 Standard Review Groups
- Oil & Fats
- Milk & Milk Products
- Cereals and cereals products
- Fruits, vegetables and their products
- Sweets & Confectionery
- Meat and Fish product
- Beverages including Alcoholic Beverages
These eight standard review groups have representatives from different industrial associations. These representatives review the existing standards, identify gaps and propose the development of new standards considering both Indian and international scenarios.
Category of Standards
Horizontal Standards – it includes various categories of foods that contain standards about contaminants, toxins, residues, packaging, labeling, etc.
Vertical standards- it includes identity and compositional standards of specific food products which cover additives, microbiological requirements, Health supplements, nutraceuticals, food for special medical purposes, functional food, and Novel food.
Important Food Standards
- Contaminants, Toxins, Residues and Biological Hazards.
- Metal contaminants
- Insecticides/ pesticide residues
- Antibiotic and other Pharmacologically active substance
- Crop Contaminants
- Naturally occurring Toxic substances
- Microbiological contaminants
- Labelling, Packaging and Claims
- Nutritional Labelling for energy, Total Fat, Trans Fat, Added Sugar and Sodium
- Food Additives
- Food category system
These Categories are:
- Dairy products and Analogues
- Fat and Oils & Fat emulsions
- Edible ices, including sorbet
- Fruits and Vegetables (including Mushrooms and Fungi, Roots and Tubers, Fresh Pulses and Legumes and Aloe Vera)
- Cereals and Cereal products
- Bakery products
- Meat and Meat products including poultry.
- Fish and Fish Products including molluscs, Crustaceans and Echinoderms
- Egg and Egg Products
- Sweeteners including honey
- Salts, Spices, Soups, Sauces, Salads & Protein products
- Food Stuff intended for particular nutritional use
- Beverages excluding dairy products
- Ready to eat savouries
- Prepared foods
- Substances added to food which are not for direct consumption as food.
FSSAI Role Function and Initiatives Premium Course
FREE Notes are always awesome. Good Notes really help students to boost their preparation. Though Premium Courses are more relevant, time saver and designed in such a way that you can crack your exam with ease and confidence.
- Chapter-Wise Video Classes, Practice Tests and PDF-Notes
- Previous year questions
- Doubt Batch
- 100% Exam-Oriented
- Price –
- Get this Course in only ₹380 – use COUPON CODE: FSSAI2021
FSSAI Role Function and Initiatives complete notes
This book contains all the topics mentioned in FSSAI EXAM 2021 and is 100% Exam oriented. After Payment, please check your registered mail for receipt. After 60 minutes of payment, you will get the Download button in your mail to download the pdf but if you face any trouble, please contact us through our WhatsApp.