The Knowledge of the prehistoric period is based on archaeological sources as there were no written records. The prehistoric period (30,00,000 BC – 3000 BC) is a period of human development or human evolution in which humans evolved from hunters and food gatherers to food producers. the earliest tool we found was stone so this period is also called the stone age or lithic age. Stone age (i.e. Lithic age) is subdivided into Paleolithic Age (Old Stone Age), Mesolithic Age (Middle Stone Age) and Neolithic Age (New Stone age).
Table of Contents
|Know details of All Government Jobs|
|Government Jobs After 10th|
|Government Jobs After 12th|
|Easy Government jobs with High Salary|
|Government Exams Notes|
|Government Exams Calendar|
Important Note: Dear Reader, Thanks for visiting Nishant eAcademy website. We are working hard to provide you best content to score more in your competitive exams however if we fail to do so because of any silly mistake, please mention this through comment below. If you find our materials are helpful for your exams, we request you to click on the above Ads to give us a ❤ thank-note ❤
Prehistoric Period Human Evolution
Human Evolution and development are based on two theories –
Unitary Origin Theory –
This theory is based on the Out of Africa model and it says that Modern humans evolved originally from homo Erectus in Africa, and then spread throughout the world.
Parallel Origin Theory –
This theory says that Modern humans evolved in the world at the same time in a parallel manner.
Human Evolution Important Points under prehistoric period
|Australopithecus Africanus||Homo Erectus Or, Pithecanthropus||Homo Sapiens Neanderthal||Homo Sapien Sapien Cro-magnon|
|Earliest Ancestor of Human||Earliest Biped Human||The first man that started burying their dead||Latest Ancestor of Modern Man|
|Lucy – known as the mother of Man||Discovery of Fire||Present almost everywhere on the earth|
|Free Use of Hands|
Paleolithic Age or the Old Stone Age under prehistoric period
- The term Paleolithic is the combination of two Greek Words, Paleo (which means old) and Lithic (means Stone). Thus the meaning of the Paleolithic Age is the old stone Age.
- the period of the Paleolithic age is 30,00,000 BC – 10,00,000 BC.
- Robert Bruce Foote is known as the father of pre-historic archaeology (India).
- Paleolithic People largely depended on hunting and nature-giving things.
- Foods were meat, fruit, or root.
- At the time between 20,00,000 BC – 10,00,000 BC, fire was discovered.
- People used to live as wanderers and there were no dwelling places to live.
Mesolithic Age or the Middle Stone Age under prehistory
- The term Mesolithic is the combination of two Greek words, Meso (means middle) and Lithic (means Stone). Thus the meaning of the Mesolithic age is the middle stone age.
- Period (9000BC-4000BC)
- In India, the discovery of Mesolithic archaeological Materials goes to John Evans.
- Taming (domestication) of animals started in this time period. Domesticating animals were Dog, Sheep goats, cow-ox, buffalo, wild horses etc.
- People were aware of the burial of the dead bodies.
- the size of tools and weapons of the mesolithic age is very tiny. these tools are called Microlith or Pigmy Implements.
Neolithic Age or the New Stone Age under prehistory
- Neolithic is the combination of two Greek words Neo (new) and Lithic (stone) i.e. New Stone Age.
- In India, the credit for the discovery of Neolithic archaeological materials goes to Dr Primrose.
- Neolithic humans know Crop cultivation (Agriculture), Animal husbandry and Fixed abode.
- The main cultivated crops of Neolithic men were – Wheat, Barley, Paddy, Millets, Various types of vegetables etc.
- In the Neolithic Age, the invention of the Wheel happened.
FAQs on the prehistoric period
the latest ancestor of modern humans is ___?
the latest ancestor of the modern human is “Cro-Magnon” (Homo Sapien Sapien).
By which name was the early Homo Sapiens known?
when did Robert Bruce Foote discover Palaeolithic implements in India?
the main occupation of palaeolithic men was
The majority of early stone age tools in India were made of __
MCQs on the Prehistoric Period in India
- The Hominoid fossils of hath nor are-
- Homo erectus
- Homo habilis
- Homo sapiens
- None of theseOption 1 - Homo Erectus In 1982, Arun Sonakia, a geologist in the Palaeontology Division of the Geological Survey of India, discovered a woman's skull from Hathnora (a place situated in Narmada river valley, Hoshangabad district, Madhya Pradesh) This is an important achievement because due to this India is placed on the global map of finding sites of hominid fossils. According to Arun Sonakia, this human skull belonged to the category of Homo Erectus.