Scholarship Scheme | scholarship scheme for students | scholarship scheme for disabled students | 2024 scholarship schemes | National scholarship Schemes | matric scholarship for obc students | students amount post matric scholarship | students amount pre matric scholarship
Scholarship Scheme is managed by National Scholarships Portal.
National Scholarships Portal is one-stop solution through which various services starting from student application, application receipt, processing, sanction and disbursal of various scholarships to Students are enabled. National Scholarships Portal is taken as Mission Mode Project under National e-Governance Plan (NeGP)
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities in the Government of India has a program called the “Scheme of Scholarships for Students with Disabilities.” This program has six parts:
- Pre-matric Scholarship: For students in Classes IX and X.
- Post-matric Scholarship: For students from Class XI to Post-Graduate Degree/Diploma level.
- Top Class Education: For those pursuing Graduate and Post-Graduate Degree/Diploma in recognized excellent educational institutes.
- National Overseas Scholarship: For individuals pursuing a Master’s Degree or Ph.D. in Institutions/Colleges/Universities abroad.
- National Fellowship: For those pursuing M. Phil and Ph.D. in Indian Universities.
- Free Coaching: For individuals preparing for recruitment examinations for Group A, B, and C posts, as well as entrance examinations for admission to various technical and professional courses. and entrance examinations for admission to various technical and professional courses).
General conditions of eligibility for the scholarship program
Here is the some general conditions of eligibility for the Scholarship Scheme.
- As per the scheme, Students should be Indian.
- All scholarship components are open to students with benchmark disabilities, defined as 40% or more disability according to the ‘Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.’ Eligible candidates must possess a valid disability certificate issued by the competent authority as per the prescribed rules.
- Only two children with disabilities from the same parents can receive benefits from the scheme. In the case of twins, both are entitled to the scholarship.
- The scholarship for studying in any class is applicable for one year only. If a student has to repeat a class, they will not receive the scholarship for that class in the second (or subsequent) year.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme cannot concurrently avail any other scholarship or stipend. Once a student accepts another scholarship or stipend, they will no longer receive payments under this scheme.
Features of scholarship scheme
Here is the list of catagory wise features of the Scholarship Scheme.
|Admissible for Classes/Courses
|Parental Income (per annum) Ceiling
|Reservation of slots for female candidates
|IX and X
|25,000 (including renewal cases)
|Rs. 2.5 lakh
|XI-XII, Post- matriculation Diploma/ Certificates, Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in India, Master’s Degree/ Diploma from any University recognized by UGC/AICTE.
|17,000 (including renewal cases)
|Rs. 2.5 lakh
|Top Class Education
|Graduate and Post- graduate Degree/ Diploma in institutes notified by DEPwD
|300 (including renewal cases)
|Rs. 8 lakh
|Master Degree and PhD in foreign universities/ institutes
|20 + ongoing cases
|Rs. 8 lakh
|M. Phil. / PhD in Indian universities
|200+ ongoing cases
|No income ceiling
Eligibility Condition for Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme
The applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in either the ninth or tenth grade, attending a Government school or an institution officially recognized by the Government or a Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
Rates of scholarship for Pre-Matric Scholarship
|Maintenance allowance (Per month)
|Book Grant (per annum)
|Disability Allowance (per annum)
|Visually Impairment or Intellectual Disabilities
|All other types of disabilities
Eligibility Conditions for Post-Matric Scholarship
For the Post-Matric Scholarship, individuals must meet certain criteria. The scholarship is applicable for recognized post-matriculation or post-secondary courses, up to the Master’s degree level, in recognized institutions or universities. However, there are some conditions:
- Candidates who after passing one stage of education are studying in the same stage of education in a different subject (e.g. B.Com. after B.A. in another subject) will not be eligible. However, students pursuing L.L.B/B.Ed/B.El.Ed. after passing B.A./B.Sc./B.E. etc. are eligible for Post-Matric Scholarship under this scheme.
- Students who are pursuing two different courses of study simultaneously can avail of the scholarship for any one course only provided pursuance of such courses are permissible under the rules/regulations of the Educational Authority concerned.
- Students who after failing or passing the under graduate examinations in Arts/Science/Commerce join any recognized professional or Technical Certificate/Diploma/Degree courses will be awarded scholarship, if otherwise eligible.
- Students who pursue their studies through correspondence courses are also eligible. The term correspondence includes distance and continuing education.
- Employed students whose income combined with the income of their parents/guardian does not exceed the maximum prescribed income ceiling are eligible for Post-Matric scholarship to the extent of reimbursement of all compulsorily payable non-refundable fees.
Rates of scholarship for Post-Matric Scholarship
|Rate of Maintenance allowance (per month)
|Group I All Bachelor’s/Post-Graduate Degree courses in Medicine, Engineering/Technology, Planning/ Architecture, Fashion Technology, Management, Business/ Finance Administration, Computer Science/ Applications, Agriculture, Veterinary and Allied Sciences. All Post-Graduate Degree/Diploma courses recognized by UGC/AICTE in any discipline
|Group II Professional courses leading to Degree/ Diploma, Certificate in areas like Pharmacy (B. Pharma), LLB, BFS, other para-medical branches like Rehabilitation, Diagnostics, etc., Mass Communication, Hotel Management & Catering, Travel/Tourism/Hospitality, Interior Decoration, Nutrition & Dietetics, Commercial Art, Financial Services (e.g., Banking, Insurance, Taxation, etc.)
|Group III All other courses leading to a Graduate degree not covered under Group I & II, e.g. ,BA/B.Sc/B.Com, etc.
|Group IV All Post-matriculation level non-degree courses for which entrance qualification is High School (Class X), e.g. Senior Secondary Certificate (Classes XI and XII), both general and vocational stream, ITI courses, 3-year diploma courses in Polytechnics, etc.
Eligibility Conditions for top class education scholarship
This is applicable exclusively for enrolling in graduate and postgraduate degree/diploma programs offered by renowned educational institutions, as specified by the Department.
Rates of scholarship for top class education scholarship
|Components of Scholarship
|Reimbursement of tuition fees and non-refundable charges paid/ payable to the Institute
|Up to Rs. 2.00 lakh – per Annum (subject to actual amount).
|Rs.3,000/-per month for hostellers, Rs. 1,500/- per month for day-scholars
|Special Allowances (related to types of disabilities like reader allowance, escort allowance, helper allowance etc.)
|Rs. 2,000/- per month
|Books & Stationery
|Rs. 5,000/- per annum.
|Reimbursement of expenses for purchase of a computer/ laptop with accessories.
|Rs. 45,000/- as a one time grant in the first year of the course. (For getting the benefit, student has to submit requisite documents viz., bill/receipt as proof of purchase of the Laptop/Computer )
|Reimbursement of expenses for purchase of Aids and Assistive devices relating to the particular disability of the selected candidates.
|Rs. 30,000/- as a one time grant in the first year of the course. (The reimbursement is made based on the requisite documents viz., bills/vouchers submitted by the students to ensure genuineness of the claim.)
Application process for the Pre-Matric, Post-Matric, and Top Class Scholarships
The application and selection process for the Pre-Matric, Post-Matric, and Top Class Scholarships involves several steps to ensure a fair and systematic distribution of benefits:
- Step-1: Candidates must apply through the National Scholarship Portal (www.scholarships.gov.in). The online application should be completed within the specified deadline. Essential documents, including a photograph, proof of age, disability certificate, parent’s income certificate, tuition fees receipt, and the last academic qualification certificate, must be uploaded in the prescribed format.
- Step-2: The educational institutions where applicants are enrolled must also register on the portal. They are responsible for verifying the details provided by the candidates. The nodal officer nominated by the State oversees all applications and processes them on behalf of the State Government. The final list is digitally signed in the Public Finance Management System (PFMS) for scholarship disbursal.
- Step-3: If a candidate is a permanent resident of one State but studies in another, the application must be recommended by the Education/Welfare Department of the candidate’s permanent resident State.
- Step-4: The allocation of available slots for each scholarship is determined based on the online verification, considering the number of eligible applications received state-wise and the percentage of the state-wise population of persons with disabilities. This ensures equitable distribution nationwide.
- Step-5: Selection is based on the percentage of disability indicated in the disability certificate. For Specific Learning Disability, where no specific percentage is indicated, a standardized percentage of 40% or above is considered. In case of a tie, preference is given to the older candidate.
- Step-6: Using the above criteria, the final selection is carried out through the National Scholarship Portal according to the state-wise slots allocated. This meticulous procedure ensures that the benefits of the scholarship scheme are accessible across the country.
Selection Procedure for the Pre-Matric, Post-Matric, and Top Class Scholarships
Eligible candidates, upon evaluating their qualifications and suitability in accordance with the Scheme’s conditions, must apply to the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Applications will be accepted exclusively through the operational online portal, and candidates should submit the filled application form (accessible on the Department’s website www.disabilityaffairs.gov.in) with necessary documents.
Employed applicants must include a “No Objection Certificate” (NOC) from their employer. The Screening Committee will review the applications per Scheme guidelines. Shortlisted eligible candidates will proceed to the Selection Committee, which will evaluate them based on educational qualifications, experience, disability category and percentage, chosen university abroad, and intended course of study. The Selection Committee will create a merit list within the allocated yearly slots to conclude the selection process definitively.
Requests to alter institutions/colleges/universities will not be entertained at any stage. Awardees wishing to change their course or university must reapply. Upon receiving a confirmation letter, awardees must fulfill all requirements, including document verification, submission of bonds, and solvency certificates, within six months. Failure to do so will result in automatic cancellation of the award letter, with no extension granted for completing these formalities.
Mode Of Disbursal Of Scholarship Scheme
The Scholarship Scheme’s three components, namely Pre-Matric, Post-Matric, and Top Class Education, will be executed via the National Scholarship Portal. The scholarship funds will be directly transferred to the bank accounts of beneficiaries linked with Aadhar through the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode. This streamlined process ensures efficient and transparent disbursement of scholarship amounts, minimizing delays and enhancing the accessibility of financial support for eligible recipients. The use of the National Scholarship Portal and DBT mode underscores the commitment to a technology-driven and direct financial assistance approach in implementing the scholarship program.