Everything About SSC JE CE Exam from Basics – exam pattern, syllabus, job profile, career growth, number of vacancies out, starting salary, preparation strategy, best books, courses, and test series, admit card, result, previous year cut-off analysis, and duration of preparation.
Table of Contents
SSC JE CE Exam Overview
|Name of Examination
|SSC JE CE
|Full-Form of JE CE
|JE: Junior Engineer
CE: Civil Engineering
|Exam Organised Body
|Staff Selection Commission
|For JE ₹35400 – ₹112400
For CE ₹44,900 –₹1,42,400
|Notification release month
|October – November
|Diploma or B. Tech
|18 years-32 years
|₹100/- for GEN/OBC/EWS
Exempted for SC/ST/PH/Female
|⟫ All Government Exams
|⟫ All Govt Exams Notes
|⟫ All Govt Exams Syllabus
|⟫ All Exams Calendar
|⟫ All Exams Calendar
About SSC JE CE Exam
SSC JE CE stands for Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineer, Civil Engineering. It is a national-level competitive examination conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) for the recruitment of Junior Engineers in Civil Engineering in various government departments and organizations. The exam is conducted in two stages – Paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 is a computer-based exam that consists of objective-type multiple-choice questions and tests the candidates’ knowledge in General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, and General Engineering (Civil and Structural). Paper 2 is a descriptive-type exam that tests the candidates’ technical knowledge in Civil Engineering. The candidates who qualify in both stages are shortlisted for the final selection process.
Vacancy Notification for SSC JE CE Exam
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) notifies the vacancy for the SSC JE CE exam every year through an official notification on their website and in the employment news. The notification contains all the important details related to the exam such as eligibility criteria, application process, exam dates, syllabus, exam pattern, and other relevant information. Generally, the notification is released in the month of October or November and the online application process starts soon after the release of the notification. However, it is advisable to regularly check the official website of the SSC for the latest updates and notifications regarding the SSC JE CE exam.
Number of Vacancies in SSC JE CE 2024
The number of vacancies notified by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) for the SSC JE CE exam varies every year depending on the requirement of the participating organizations and departments. The average number of vacancies is 2500 – 3000. A total of 2798 vacancies are released for recruitment. 2023 can be a good opportunity for candidates who are aspiring to get an engineering job in a Government Organization. Generally, the number of vacancies is not fixed and may vary based on various factors such as the number of retirements, new projects, and other factors. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the official website of the SSC for the latest updates and notifications related to the SSC JE CE exam and the number of vacancies.
Job Profile after Selection in SSC JE CE Exam
After selection in the SSC JE CE (Junior Engineer – Civil Engineering) exam, the candidates are recruited as Junior Engineers in various departments and organizations under the Government of India. The job profile of a Junior Engineer involves designing, planning, executing, and maintaining civil engineering projects such as buildings, roads, bridges, and other infrastructure facilities. The responsibilities of a Junior Engineer may include site inspection, preparation of technical reports, estimation of project costs, ensuring quality control, and coordination with other departments and stakeholders. They may also be responsible for supervising the work of technicians and other staff working on the project. Overall, the job of a Junior Engineer is challenging and rewarding and provides ample opportunities for professional growth and development.
Best Courses & Test Series
Quality at Affordable Prices
SSC JE CE Post after Selection
After selection in the SSC Stenographer exam, candidates are recruited as Grade C and Grade D Stenographers in various government departments and organizations. The job profile of a stenographer involves performing various administrative tasks, such as transcribing speeches, dictations, and interviews; maintaining records and files; and assisting in routine office tasks. The duties may also include drafting letters and memos, handling phone calls and visitors, and scheduling appointments. Grade C stenographers usually work in ministries and departments of the central government, while Grade D stenographers are posted in subordinate offices of the central government located across the country. Overall, the job of a stenographer provides opportunities for career growth and development and can be a rewarding career choice.
The starting salary of SSC JE CE
After the implementation of the 7th Pay Commission, the starting salary of SSC JE CE exam selected candidates varies based on the post and level of the organization. However, as per the pay scale, the minimum basic pay for Junior Engineers (JE) in Central Public Works Department (CPWD) is Rs. 35,400/- per month, while for Junior Engineers in other departments, it is Rs. 44,900/- per month. For the Central Engineering Services (CES), the pay scale is Rs. 15,600/- to Rs. 39,100/- with a Grade Pay of Rs. 5,400/-. The salary may also vary based on the allowances and other benefits provided by the organization.
Career growth in SSC JE CE exam
SSC JE CE (Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineer Civil Engineering) is a competitive exam that opens up career opportunities for candidates who aspire to become Junior Engineers in the Civil Engineering domain. Here are some tips for career growth in the SSC JE CE exam:
- Prepare thoroughly: Start preparing for the exam well in advance. Study the syllabus, practice the previous year’s question papers, and take mock tests regularly.
- Keep up with the latest trends: Stay updated with the latest developments in the civil engineering domain. Read industry publications, attend conferences, and join online forums and communities.
- Develop technical skills: Junior Engineers in Civil Engineering require strong technical skills. Work on developing skills such as planning, designing, and supervising construction projects, project management, and using software such as AutoCAD and STAAD Pro.
- Improve communication skills: Junior Engineers need to interact with different stakeholders such as contractors, clients, and government officials. Develop your communication skills to effectively communicate your ideas and project plans.
- Pursue higher education: Pursuing a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or other related fields can open up better career opportunities in the future.
- Network and collaborate: Join professional associations such as the Indian Society of Civil Engineers and attend networking events to expand your network and collaborate with other professionals.
- Consider career advancement opportunities: After gaining experience as a Junior Engineer, consider opportunities to move up to higher roles such as Senior Engineer, Project Manager, or Construction Manager.
Remember, career growth is a continuous process. Keep learning and developing your skills, stay updated with the latest trends, and seize opportunities to advance your career.
Selection Process For SSC JE CE Exam Examination 2024
The selection process for SSC JE CE Exam 2023 includes two stages:
- Paper-I: It is a computer-based test that consists of objective-type multiple-choice questions. The questions are asked from three sections – General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, and Civil Engineering.
- Paper II: It is a written exam that tests the technical knowledge of the candidates in Civil Engineering. The questions are descriptive in nature and require in-depth knowledge of the subject.
Candidates who qualify for Paper-I are eligible to appear for Paper II. The final selection is based on the marks obtained in both Paper-I and Paper II. Candidates who clear the cut-off marks on both papers are invited for the document verification process, following which the final selection is made.
Paper-I in the SSC JE CE Exam is a computer-based test that consists of objective-type multiple-choice questions. The duration of the exam is 2 hours, and it carries a maximum of 200 marks. The questions are asked from three sections:
- General Intelligence and Reasoning: This section tests the candidate’s ability to solve problems and reason logically. It includes questions on analogies, similarities and differences, spatial visualization, spatial orientation, problem-solving, analysis, judgment, decision-making, visual memory, discrimination, observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning and figural classification, arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding, and decoding.
- General Awareness: This section tests the candidate’s knowledge of current affairs, general science, and important events in India and the world. It includes questions on history, culture, geography, the economic scene, general polity, and scientific research.
- Civil Engineering: This section tests the candidate’s technical knowledge in the Civil Engineering domain. It includes questions on building materials, surveying, soil mechanics, hydraulics, environmental engineering, transportation engineering, and structural engineering.
Candidates need to score the minimum qualifying marks in each section to be eligible for Paper II. The questions are in English and Hindi, except for the General English section. There is a negative marking for wrong answers, and 0.25 marks are deducted for each incorrect answer.
Paper II in the SSC JE CE Exam is a written exam that tests the technical knowledge of the candidates in Civil Engineering. The duration of the exam is 2 hours, and it carries a maximum of 300 marks. The questions are descriptive in nature and require in-depth knowledge of the subject.
The questions in Paper II are based on the topics covered in the Civil Engineering syllabus such as building materials, surveying, soil mechanics, hydraulics, environmental engineering, transportation engineering, and structural engineering. The questions may also test the candidate’s ability to draw and interpret engineering drawings.
Candidates are required to write their answers in the medium of the examination, either in English or Hindi. The answers should be written neatly and legibly. The paper is evaluated on the basis of the candidate’s knowledge, clarity of expression, and ability to present the information in a structured and organized manner.
Exam Pattern of SSC JE CE
|No of Questions
(Civil and Structural)
- The exam is conducted in an online mode.
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours.
- The exam consists of 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQs).
- Each question carries 1 mark, and there is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer.
- The exam is conducted in both English and Hindi languages.
Paper 2 is a descriptive type exam and tests the candidate’s knowledge in their respective engineering discipline. The SSC JE CE (Civil Engineering) Paper 2 exam pattern is as follows:
- The exam is conducted in offline mode (pen and paper-based).
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours.
- The maximum marks for the exam are 300.
- The exam consists of three parts – Part A, Part B, and Part C.
- Part A consists of General Engineering (CE) questions and carries 100 marks.
- Part B consists of General English questions and carries 100 marks.
- Part C consists of General Studies questions and carries 100 marks.
- The questions in Part A are of a conventional type and the answers have to be written in a descriptive manner.
- The questions in Part B and Part C are of objective type and candidates have to choose the correct answer from the given options.
- The minimum qualifying marks for the exam are 30%.
- Candidates who qualify in Paper 2 will be called for the document verification process.
Note: It is important to note that the SSC JE CE Paper 2 exam pattern may be subject to change at the discretion of the Staff Selection Commission. Therefore, candidates are advised to regularly check the official website of SSC for any updates or changes.
Preparation strategy for SSC JE CE exam
The Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineer (SSC JE) Civil Engineering (CE) exam is a highly competitive exam, and it requires a well-planned and organized preparation strategy to crack the exam. Here are some tips for preparing for the SSC JE CE exam:
- Know the exam pattern and syllabus: It is important to have a thorough understanding of the exam pattern and syllabus. Candidates should be familiar with the topics covered in the exam and the types of questions asked.
- Create a study plan: A study plan helps in organizing the preparation and ensures that all the topics are covered in a systematic manner. Candidates should create a study plan that allocates sufficient time to each topic and also includes time for revision.
- Practice previous year question papers: Practicing previous year question papers is an effective way to understand the exam pattern, and type of questions asked, and also to improve time management skills.
- Use study materials: Candidates can use various study materials such as books, online resources, and video lectures to supplement their preparation. It is important to choose study materials that cover the entire syllabus and are recommended by experts.
- Focus on weak areas: Candidates should identify their weak areas and allocate more time to those topics. They should also practice more questions from those topics to improve their understanding.
- Take mock tests: Taking mock tests helps in assessing the level of preparation and also improves time management skills. Candidates can take online mock tests, which are available on various websites.
- Stay updated with current affairs: Candidates should stay updated with current affairs, especially in the fields of science and technology, sports, and politics. This will help in answering questions related to General Awareness.
- Stay healthy and motivated: It is important to stay healthy and motivated during the preparation period. Candidates should take breaks in between study sessions, exercise regularly, eat healthy food, and also stay motivated by setting achievable goals and celebrating small successes.
By following these tips and a disciplined study routine, candidates can prepare well for the SSC JE CE exam and increase their chances of success.
Best Books for SSC JE CE
Here are some of the best books for the SSC JE CE exam preparation:
- SSC JE Civil Engineering: Topic-wise Previous Solved Papers by Made Easy Editorial Board
This book is an excellent resource for the SSC JE CE exam preparation as it contains the previous year’s solved papers for all the topics in the syllabus. It also includes practice questions and solutions for each topic.
- SSC JE Civil Engineering (CE) 2022 Exam: Topic-wise Solved Papers by Disha Experts
This book covers all the topics in the SSC JE CE exam syllabus and contains topic-wise solved papers for the previous years’ exams. It also includes practice questions and solutions for each topic.
- Civil Engineering: Conventional and Objective Type by R.S. Khurmi and J.K. Gupta
This book is an excellent resource for the preparation of conventional and objective-type questions. It covers all the important topics in the SSC JE CE exam syllabus and also includes practice questions and solutions.
- SSC JE Civil Engineering Guide by GKP: This book is a comprehensive guide for the SSC JE CE exam preparation. It covers all the topics in the syllabus and includes practice questions and solutions. It also contains general awareness and general intelligence and reasoning sections.
- SSC JE Civil Engineering by GK Publications: This book covers all the important topics in the SSC JE CE exam syllabus and includes practice questions and solutions. It also contains general awareness and general intelligence and reasoning sections.
Candidates should choose the book(s) based on their level of understanding and the amount of time they have for the exam preparation. It is important to choose books that are recommended by experts and cover the entire syllabus.
Test series for SSC JE CE exam
Nishant eAcademy offers a comprehensive test series for the SSC JE CE Examination that can help you evaluate your preparation and identify your strengths and weaknesses. The test series is designed by experts and covers all the important topics and subjects of the SSC JE CE syllabus. The tests are structured to mimic the actual exam pattern, and taking them can help you build exam temperament and manage time effectively. The test series is available online, and you can take the tests from the comfort of your home. The detailed performance analysis and feedback provided after each test can help you improve your performance and increase your chances of success in the SSC JE CE exam. I highly recommend Nishant eAcademy Test Series for the SSC JE CE exam to all aspirants who are serious about cracking the exam.
Duration of Preparation for the SSC JE CE Exam
The duration of preparation for the SSC JE CE exam depends on various factors such as the candidate’s level of understanding of the concepts, the amount of time available for preparation, and the difficulty level of the exam. However, on average, candidates should allocate a minimum of 4-6 months for the preparation of the SSC JE CE exam. This time frame is sufficient to cover the entire syllabus, practice enough questions, and revise the topics multiple times.
During the preparation period, candidates should focus on building a strong foundation of the basic concepts and then move on to solving more complex problems. They should also practice the previous year’s question papers and take mock tests to improve their time management skills and assess their level of preparation.
It is important to have a disciplined study routine and allocate sufficient time for each topic. Candidates should also take breaks in between study sessions, exercise regularly, eat healthy food, and stay motivated throughout the preparation period.
Result of SSC JE CE
The Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineer (SSC JE) Civil Engineering (CE) exam result is notified on the official website of the Staff Selection Commission. The result is declared in two stages: Paper 1 and Paper 2.
The result for Paper 1 is usually declared after a few weeks of the examination date. Candidates who have qualified in Paper 1 are eligible to appear for Paper 2. The result for Paper 2 is declared after a few weeks of the examination date.
To check the result, candidates need to visit the official website of the Staff Selection Commission and navigate to the “Result” tab. They should then click on the link for the SSC JE CE exam and enter their roll number and other required details. The result will be displayed on the screen.
Candidates who have qualified in the SSC JE CE exam will be called for the next round of the selection process, which is the document verification process. They will be required to produce their original documents for verification.
Download SSC JE CE Previous Year Solved Question Paper
FAQs – SSC JE CE Exam
How to prepare for the SSC JE CE exam without coaching?
Preparing for the SSC JE CE exam without coaching requires a disciplined and consistent approach to study. Here are some tips that can help candidates prepare for the exam without coaching:
1. Understand the syllabus and exam pattern: Before starting the preparation, candidates should carefully read and understand the SSC JE CE exam syllabus and exam pattern. It will help them identify the important topics and create a study plan accordingly.
2. Make a study plan: A well-planned study schedule will help candidates cover the entire syllabus and revise it multiple times. Candidates should allocate sufficient time for each topic and also include time for revision and practice.
3. Use standard textbooks and study materials: Candidates can refer to standard textbooks and study materials recommended by experts to cover the entire syllabus. They should also use online resources such as videos, blogs, and websites to supplement their preparation.
4. Practice previous year’s question papers and mock tests: Solving previous year’s question papers and mock tests will help candidates understand the exam pattern, improve their time management skills, and assess their level of preparation.
5. Focus on basics and fundamentals: Candidates should focus on building a strong foundation of the basic concepts and fundamentals. It will help them to understand the more complex topics easily.
6. Take regular breaks and stay motivated: Taking regular breaks, exercising regularly, and staying motivated is essential to maintain the focus and concentration required for exam preparation.
How to start SSC JE CE preparation?
Starting the SSC JE CE exam preparation can be a bit overwhelming, but with the right approach, candidates can effectively kick-start their preparation. Here are some steps to follow for starting the preparation:
1. Understand the Exam Pattern and Syllabus: The first step in SSC JE CE exam preparation is to understand the exam pattern and syllabus. Candidates should carefully read and understand the exam pattern, marking scheme, and syllabus to know the topics they need to prepare.
2. Get the Right Study Material: Once the syllabus is understood, candidates should gather the right study materials such as textbooks, reference books, previous year’s question papers, and other relevant study material.
3. Create a Study Plan: Based on the syllabus and the study materials, candidates should create a study plan that includes all the topics and subtopics that need to be covered. The study plan should also include the time required for revision and practice.
4. Focus on Basic Concepts: Candidates should focus on building a strong foundation of basic concepts and fundamentals before moving on to more complex topics.
5. Practice Regularly: Candidates should practice regularly and solve the previous year’s question papers, sample papers, and mock tests to assess their level of preparation.
6. Stay Motivated: Staying motivated and focused is important throughout the preparation period. Candidates should take regular breaks, exercise regularly, and maintain a positive attitude.