Everything About SSC MTS Exam from Basics – exam pattern, syllabus, job profile, career growth, number of vacancies out, starting salary, preparation strategy, best books, courses, and test series, admit card, result, previous year cut-off analysis, and duration of preparation.
Table of Contents
SSC MTS Exam (Multi-Tasking Staff) Overview
|Name of Examination
|Full-Form of MTS
|Multi Tasking Staff
|Exam Organised Body
|Staff Selection Commission
|₹18000 – ₹ 22000
|Notification release month
|April or May
|18 years – 25 years
|₹100/- for GEN/OBC/EWS
Exempted for SC/ST/PH/Female
|Paper 1, Paper 2
|⟫ All Government Exams
|⟫ All Govt Exams Notes
|⟫ All Govt Exams Syllabus
|⟫ All Exams Calendar
|⟫ All Exams Calendar
About SSC MTS Exam
The SSC MTS (Staff Selection Commission Multi-Tasking Staff) exam is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) to recruit candidates for various non-technical posts in different government departments and offices across the country. The exam is conducted in two stages – Paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 is an online objective type test, while Paper 2 is a descriptive type test. Candidates who have passed the 10th class or its equivalent from a recognized board or institution are eligible to apply for the exam. The age limit for the exam is 18-25 years, and there is age relaxation for candidates belonging to certain categories. The exam is conducted once a year, and the selection process includes Paper 1 and Paper 2.
Vacancy Notification for SSC MTS Exam
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) releases the notification for the Multi-Tasking Staff (MTS) exam once a year. However, the exact date of notification release may vary from year to year. Generally, the notification for the SSC MTS exam is released in the month of April or May, and the exam is conducted in the months of August and September. Candidates who are interested in appearing for the exam should regularly check the official website of the SSC for the latest updates and notifications.
Number of Vacancies in SSC MTS 2024
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) announces the results of the Multi-Tasking Staff (MTS) exam on its official website. The results are announced in different stages depending on the exam pattern and selection process.
For Paper 1, the SSC releases a list of candidates who have qualified for Paper 2 based on the minimum cut-off marks and merit list. The list is generally published within a few months after the examination is conducted.
For Paper 2, the SSC releases a final merit list of candidates who have cleared the exam based on their performance in the descriptive paper. The final result is usually announced a few months after the descriptive test is conducted.
Candidates who have appeared for the SSC MTS exam can check their results by visiting the official website of the SSC and clicking on the “Results” tab. They can then select the appropriate exam and enter their roll number or other required details to view their results.
Job Profile after Selection in SSC MTS Exam
The job profile of a candidate who is selected in the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) Multi-Tasking Staff (MTS) exam involves carrying out various non-technical tasks in government offices and departments. The MTS employees are responsible for performing different types of work, including:
- General Cleaning and maintenance of the office
- Providing assistance in routine office work
- Delivery of files and documents within the office premises
- Maintenance of files and records
- Photocopying and faxing documents
- Running errands as required by superiors
- Any other task assigned by the superior officers
The work may vary depending on the office and department where the candidate is posted. The work environment can also vary from an indoor office setting to outdoor locations, depending on the nature of the work. The MTS employees are expected to perform their duties diligently and maintain discipline and punctuality in the workplace.
Best Courses & Test Series
Quality at Affordable Prices
SSC MTS Post after Selection
The post offered after selection in the SSC MTS exam is Multi-Tasking Staff (Non-Technical). It is a Group C post in the pay band of Rs. 5200-20200 with Grade Pay of Rs. 1800. MTS employees are responsible for carrying out various non-technical tasks in the government departments and offices, including general cleaning, maintenance of the office, and other routine office work. The nature of the work may vary depending on the office and department where the candidate is posted. The job requires diligence, discipline, and punctuality in the workplace.
The starting salary of Multi-Tasking Staff
The starting salary of SSC MTS employees as per the 7th Pay Commission is in the pay band of Rs. 5200-20200 with Grade Pay of Rs. 1800. The initial basic pay for an MTS employee would be Rs. 18,000 per month. In addition to the basic pay, an MTS employee is also eligible for various allowances such as Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, and Transport Allowance, which are calculated based on the employee’s place of posting and other factors. The actual salary of an MTS employee may vary depending on factors such as place of posting, allowances, and deductions. However, with periodic pay revisions and promotions, the salary of an MTS employee can increase significantly over time.
Career Growth in Multi-Tasking Staff
SSC MTS is an entry-level job, and employees can expect to have opportunities for career growth over time. Here are some of the ways in which an MTS employee can grow in their career:
- Promotions: MTS employees can be promoted to higher posts such as LDC, UDC, and other clerical posts through departmental exams or internal promotions.
- Departmental Exams: MTS employees can also take departmental exams to qualify for higher-level posts within their department.
- Higher Education: Employees can pursue higher education such as diploma or degree courses through distance learning or part-time studies to enhance their skills and qualifications.
- Inter-departmental Transfers: Employees can also apply for inter-departmental transfers to explore opportunities in different departments.
- Other Opportunities: Employees can also explore other opportunities such as deputation to other organizations or special projects within their department to gain experience and exposure to different work areas.
With hard work, dedication, and a focus on continuous learning and skill development, an MTS employee can achieve significant career growth in the government sector.
Selection Process For SSC MTS Examination 2024
The selection process for SSC MTS examination comprises two stages:
- Paper 1 – Computer-Based Examination (CBE)
- Paper 2 – Descriptive Test
Candidates who qualify for Paper 1 will be eligible to appear for Paper 2.
The Paper 1 exam in SSC MTS is a computer-based examination (CBE) that is conducted online. The duration of the exam is 90 minutes, and the total marks for the paper are 100. The paper consists of multiple-choice questions and is divided into four sections:
- General Intelligence and Reasoning: This section tests a candidate’s ability to analyze and solve problems using logical and reasoning skills.
- Numerical Aptitude: This section tests a candidate’s mathematical abilities, including their understanding of numbers, decimals, fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions, profit and loss, etc.
- General English: This section tests a candidate’s understanding of the English language, including grammar, vocabulary, comprehension, etc.
- General Awareness: This section tests a candidate’s knowledge of current events, history, geography, culture, economics, science, and general knowledge.
Each section consists of 25 questions, and each question carries two marks. There is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for each incorrect answer. To qualify for Paper 2, a candidate must score the minimum cut-off marks set by the SSC.
The Paper 2 exam in SSC MTS is a descriptive test that is designed to test a candidate’s writing skills. The exam is conducted in pen and paper mode and the duration of the exam is 30 minutes. The paper consists of a short essay or letter in English or any other language listed in the 8th schedule of the Indian Constitution.
The total marks for the paper are 50 and the passing marks are 20. Candidates are required to write either an essay of 150-200 words or a letter of 50-100 words on a given topic. The purpose of this exam is to test a candidate’s writing ability, including their ability to communicate effectively in writing and to organize their thoughts and ideas coherently.
The essay or letter is evaluated on the basis of the candidate’s ability to express their thoughts clearly, their grammatical accuracy, and their ability to follow the conventions of formal letter writing. Candidates who qualify in both Paper 1 and Paper 2 are called for the Document Verification stage, which is the final stage of the selection process for SSC MTS.
Exam pattern of SSC MTS
|No of Questions
|1 Hour 30 Minutes
- There are a total of 100 questions, each carrying 1 mark, making the total mark 100.
- There is a negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer.
- The questions are of objective type (multiple choice questions).
- The question paper is available in both English and Hindi.
The questions in each section are designed to test a candidate’s understanding and proficiency in the respective subject. The level of difficulty of the questions is generally of a matriculation level.
The Paper 2 of SSC MTS exam is a descriptive test that assesses the candidate’s writing ability and language skills. The exam is conducted in offline mode and candidates have to write an essay or letter in either English or the regional language. The exam is for a duration of 30 minutes and carries a weightage of 50 marks.
Paper 2 is qualifying in nature and candidates must score a minimum of 40% marks in the exam to be considered for the final selection process. The paper is designed to test the candidate’s ability to express his/her thoughts clearly and effectively in writing and to communicate in a language that is appropriate and grammatically correct.
Preparation Strategy for Multi-Tasking Staff Examination
Here are some preparation strategies for preparing for the SSC MTS exam:
- Know the exam pattern: Before starting your preparation, you should be familiar with the exam pattern, syllabus, and marking scheme.
- Make a study plan: Prepare a study plan based on the exam pattern and syllabus, and allocate sufficient time to cover all the topics.
- Focus on basics: For Paper 1, focus on building your basic knowledge of English, Mathematics, and General Awareness. For Paper 2, focus on improving your writing skills.
- Practice previous year’s papers: Solving previous year’s papers and mock tests will help you get an idea about the exam pattern, difficulty level, and time management.
- Improve your speed and accuracy: The SSC MTS exam requires you to solve questions within a limited time, so it is important to improve your speed and accuracy.
- Read newspapers and current affairs: Keep yourself updated with the latest news and current affairs as it is an important section in the exam.
- Revision: Regularly revise what you have studied to retain the information.
- Stay positive and motivated: Stay positive and motivated throughout your preparation journey, and maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy, getting enough rest, and exercising regularly.
Remember that consistent effort and dedication are the keys to cracking the SSC MTS exam.
Best Books for SSC MTS
There are many books available in the market for SSC MTS exam preparation, but choosing the right books is crucial for success. Here are some of the best books for SSC MTS exam preparation:
- SSC Multi-Tasking (Non-Technical) Recruitment Exam Guide: This book by Disha Publication covers all the topics of the SSC MTS exam in detail. It includes practice sets, solved papers, and mock tests.
- Kiran’s SSC Multi-Tasking Staff Non-Technical Staff Tier-I Exam Practice Work Book: This book by Kiran Publications is a comprehensive guide for the SSC MTS exam. It includes solved papers, practice sets, and mock tests.
- Lucent’s General Knowledge: This book by Lucent Publication is useful for the General Awareness section of the SSC MTS exam. It includes detailed coverage of various topics such as history, geography, science, and current affairs.
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic: This book by Rajesh Verma is useful for the Quantitative Aptitude section of the SSC MTS exam. It includes shortcut methods, formulas, and practice questions.
Apart from these books, candidates can also refer to online study materials, video lectures, and mock tests for their preparation.
Test series for Multi-Tasking Staff Examination
Nishant eAcademy offers a comprehensive test series for the SSC MTS Examination that can help you evaluate your preparation and identify your strengths and weaknesses. The test series is designed by experts and covers all the important topics and subjects of the SSC MTS syllabus. The tests are structured to mimic the actual exam pattern, and taking them can help you build exam temperament and manage time effectively. The test series is available online, and you can take the tests from the comfort of your home. The detailed performance analysis and feedback provided after each test can help you improve your performance and increase your chances of success in the SSC MTS exam. I highly recommend Nishant eAcademy Test Series for the SSC MTS exam to all aspirants who are serious about cracking the exam.
Duration of Preparation for the SSC MTS Exam
The duration of preparation for SSC MTS exams may vary from person to person depending on their prior knowledge, understanding of concepts, and practice. However, on average, it is recommended to dedicate at least 4-6 months for SSC MTS exam preparation.
During this time, candidates can focus on understanding the exam pattern, and syllabus, and solving previous year’s papers and mock tests. They can also divide their study time between different sections such as General Intelligence & Reasoning, Numerical Aptitude, General English, and General Awareness.
To make the best use of their time, candidates can also create a study plan, set daily/weekly goals, and track their progress. It is also important to take breaks and maintain a healthy balance between study and other activities to avoid burnout.
Result of SSC MTS
The SSC MTS result is released by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) after each stage of the selection process. The final result is declared after the completion of all stages of the exam. The following are some important points to note about the SSC MTS result:
- The result is declared on the official website of the SSC.
- Candidates can check their results by entering their roll number or registration number and date of birth.
- The result includes the names and roll numbers of the candidates who have qualified for the next stage of the selection process.
- The selection process for the SSC MTS exam includes Paper 1, Paper 2, and document verification.
- The final result is based on the performance of the candidates in Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Candidates who qualify in both papers are called for document verification.
- The final merit list is prepared based on the total marks scored by the candidates in Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- The commission releases separate cut-off marks for each stage of the exam.
- Candidates who score above the cut-off marks are considered qualified for the respective stage.
- The final result is published in the form of a merit list, which includes the names and roll numbers of the selected candidates.
Download SSC MTS Previous Year Solved Question Paper
FAQs – SSC MTS Exam
How to prepare for the SSC MTS exam without coaching?
Preparing for the SSC MTS exam without coaching is possible, but it requires discipline and dedication. Here are some tips that can help you prepare for the exam without coaching:
1. Know the exam pattern and syllabus: It is essential to be aware of the exam pattern and syllabus before you start your preparation. The SSC MTS exam consists of two papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 is an objective-type test, and Paper 2 is a descriptive test.
2. Make a study plan: Make a study plan that covers all the topics in the syllabus. Allocate sufficient time for each topic based on your strengths and weaknesses.
3. Use online resources: There are many online resources available for free that can help you prepare for the exam. You can access video lectures, study materials, and mock tests on various websites.
4. Solve previous year’s papers: Solving previous year’s papers will help you understand the exam pattern, difficulty level, and types of questions asked in the exam.
5. Practice regularly: Practice is the key to success in any competitive exam. Practice as many questions as possible to improve your speed and accuracy.
6. Revise regularly: Revise the topics regularly to ensure that you don’t forget what you have learned.
7. Stay updated: Keep yourself updated with the latest news and current affairs to improve your general awareness.
By following these tips, you can prepare for the SSC MTS exam without coaching and increase your chances of success.
How to start SSC MTS preparation?
To start preparing for the SSC MTS exam, you can follow these steps:
1. Understand the Exam Pattern: The first step is to understand the exam pattern and syllabus of SSC MTS. This will help you to identify the important topics and sections of the exam.
2. Create a Study Plan: Based on the exam pattern and syllabus, create a study plan. Allocate time for each topic and section, and make sure to cover all the topics before the exam.
3. Collect Study Material: Collect good quality study material like books, previous year papers, and mock tests. You can also refer to online study material.
4. Practice Previous Year Papers: Practice previous year’s papers to get an idea about the type of questions asked in the exam. It will also help you to understand the difficulty level of the exam.
5. Take Mock Tests: Take mock tests regularly to analyze your performance and identify your strengths and weaknesses.
6. Focus on Basics: Focus on strengthening your basics. This will help you to solve the questions quickly and accurately.
7. Revision: Regular revision is very important. Revise the topics that you have covered at regular intervals.
Stay Motivated: Stay motivated throughout your preparation journey. Take breaks, indulge in your hobbies and interests, and maintain a positive attitude.