Notes on Vardhana Dynasty and Post – Gupta period for different Competitive exams and Government Exams – Ancient India – Chapterwise history notes – Pushyabhuti or Vardhana dynasty
Important Note: Dear Reader, Thanks for visiting Nishant eAcademy website. We are working hard to provide you best content to score more in your competitive exams however if we fail to do so because of any silly mistake, please mention this through comment below. If you find our materials are helpful for your exams, we request you to click on the above Ads to give us a ❤ thank-note ❤
Important points on Vardhana Dynasty
- The Pushyabhuti or Vardhana dynasty was founded in Thaneswar (Kurukshetra district, Haryana)
- Founder – Pushyabhuti
- The first important ruler was Prabhakaravardhana.
- Rajyavardhana was the son of Prabhakaravardhana.
- Deva Gupta (the ruler of Malwa) with the help of Shashanka, killed Rajyavardhana brother-in-law and imprisoned Rajyashri (Sister of Rajyavardhana).
- Rajyavardhana was killed by Shashanka in the campaign to release his sister Rayashri.
- Harshavardhana, the younger brother of Rajyavardhana ascended the throne.
- He rescued his sister “Rajyashri” and drove out Shashanka from Kannauj.
- He has taken the title of Siladitya.
- In his time period, he was only defeated by Pulkeshin II of the Chalukya dynasty. This defeat was mentioned in the Aihole inscription written by Pulakesin II court poet Ravikirti.
- Hiuen-Tsang visited India during Harsha’s reign.
- Harsha wrote three Sanskrit plays – Nagananda, Ratnavali and Priyadarsika.
- Banabhatta wrote Harshacharita.